Sunday, August 1, 2010

DIY: Sign Tutorial

A tutorial has been requested! The following is a step by step process of how to make the signs used for Alyssa's centerpieces.


Step 1: Cut out rectangular blocks. The blocks I made were small enough that I just used a miter saw to cut them. I didn't measure them before I cut because I like the look of the random sizes.

Step 2: Spray paint blocks. If you are going to hang these, you only need to paint one side and the edges. If you are going to have them free-stand, you need to paint both sides. I just waited until they dried, then flipped them over and painted the back.


Step 3: Measure the blocks.

Step 4: Create print. I designed the prints in Photoshop, (though Illustrator would be great too) using mostly picaboo backgrounds as my base and fonts from dafont. When starting the design I made sure that the image size margins were 1/2 inch smaller than the block so as to show the black border. Then I simply printed them on glossy photo paper.


Step 5: Glue the print to the block. Once the prints were cut out, I used photo safe spray adhesive to mount them to the blocks.



Step 6: Once the print was centered on the block, I secured it by rubbing it with a soft cloth, starting in the middle and working my way out. This helps not only secure the print, but gets rid of any air bubbles as well.


And there you have it! Pretty simple huh?

Here's a taste of some of the designs I made for Alyssa.







1 comment:

  1. I love the arrangements of this sign! very cool. thanks for inspiring me to do something like this!
    You can follow along with me @ www.jhousetawk.blogspot.com
    :) xo

    ReplyDelete